PicCap - Hyperion Sender App
PicCap - Hyperion Sender App¶
The idea is to have an ambilight on our LG webOS TVs like it's known from Philipps TVs.
PicCap is an frontend app, which you can install on your TV, to make TV content capturing as easy as possible. It ships and controls the seperated hyperion-webos background native service, which uses capture interfaces on your TV based on reverse engineering, proccesses the output and sends as result a low quality image to a receiver like Hyperion's flatbuffer server.
hyperion.ng basicly is a server service, which transforms incomming image data to an LED output. - Also available in Homebrew Channel!
- webOS 3.4+ support
- Log gathering for app and hyperion-webos
- Status refreshing to display some useful info like FPS or used backends
- Button and magic remote navigation
- Switch between dark, grey or blue UI
What do you need?¶
- Root access to your TV
- webOS 3.4 or above
- Latest version of Homebrew Channel installed, as we take use of its elevate-service script
- Brain with some basic knowledge - We haven't encountered any bricks, but standard no warranty clause applies
How to use¶
Wait a few secounds to let the service elevate root permissions through Homebrew Channel-Service. Check status message in bottom right corner, to see when it's done.
- If you use hyperion.ng or HyperHDR loader, you will have to fill
127.0.0.1as IP address.
- Change priority if you have other capture or effect sources for your Hyperion or HyperHDR instance.
We use different libraries to capture TVs content. These are used by hyperion-webos and described here.
Some TV models are comptabile with a specific backend, but require a slightly different routine to work reliably. You can find an explaination for these so called quirks here.
On newer TVs there is no official way for capturing DRM-protected content like from Netflix or Amazon. This restriction doesn't take place for content comming from an HDMI input.
So currently as a workaround you can play your media using your PC, FireTV-Stick or Chromecast and still enjoy your LEDs.
Need some help?¶
- Discord for questions and discuss https://discord.gg/9sqAgHVRhP
- Visit projects page and feel free to raise an issue
Last Updated: 2023/03/12 19:53:07 UTC